Yesterday I spotted this big billboard ad at Sergels Torg in central Stockholm. I didn't care too much for the very dynamic, almost computer-game-like graphic design of the soccer players because another, smaller but far more striking detail caught my attention.
This little detail is in fact a paradigm change in branding & marketing in the age of the social & mobile web. By using the hashtag only, Nike shows that it understands a couple of important things, that most brands haven't:
- People sure know where to find Nike's websites or profiles - if they feel the urge to visit
- Nike's brand, it's products and its contribution to an active lifestyle is part of a global conversation
- That conversation is happening all over the social web, not on a specific website or social media service
- Nike knows that this conversation is more interesting than its own marketing messages
- So, rather than trying to move or pool the conversation to a specific site - Nike simply provides the hashtag #makeitcount that helps people to connect to the conversation and to participate
- Nike's brand is a conversation
By Daniel Jörg.